Thursday, December 2, 2010

Learning Profile~ How do I learn best?

How can I learn best?


I usually learn best when I have a picture to look at or a piece of paper to follow along. I feel this way because sometimes I get lost by listening and when there is like a picture then I can follow along and in a snap, I know what to do. But, most of the time I can listen clearly and follow but, I do not understand as much as having a visual to look at. If I want to concentrate I usually have to find a quite spot so no one could disturb me. I do this if I really want to get the work done. I do this because when people are chatting or noise, I can not really do much because it get harder to concentrate and I would start getting off track and forgetting all about what I need to do. Even music gets me off track too because I would start listening to the music and I can not stop listen too which sometimes give me a bit of frustration. I do best when people are not tapping on the desk when I am working or reading because once I get a bit stressed I can not really read, do my work, see and listen which gets quite annoying so I completely shut down. I usually find it listening easy but, for me to listen I start fiddling with my leg like, making pinch marks on my leg, playing with my pencil and finally, shaking my leg very fast. I find this easier to listen/ learn because when I get quite bored I do not listen properly so I just shake my leg or do something to make me feel entertained and I will start listening. I like not go in order sometimes because I like doing what is easy first than hard and if I had a new cell phone I would just fool around with the phone then on the way, when I get stuck or do not know what to do I would just scan/read the instructions. I also learn best by having examples. I like examples because it makes me understand exactly what to do and shows me what is expected in that project.


I need to.......


I need to try my best to stop the person who is making noise because if I do not stop the person I would not be able to do my work and finish it. If I can not make the person stop talking I would tell the teacher that they are distracting me from do my work or tell some one else to try to stop them. I think I could also tell my teachers that I need a bit of silence in the class so I would not get too stressed in class and start to fall apart. I also think that I should tell the people in my math/science table group that do not try to shake the squeaky table so it would not be distracting for everybody or for some people. I also should tell them to not talk so loud or start banging the desks and all. If that does not work out, I could ask a teacher if we could change seats if they do not stop.


The strategies that would help me in my learning....


I think working on my logic side more, so when I grow older and I am stressed, I can control like I can not shut down as easy as before. In order to work on my non-donimate side I can do knitting, writing and drawing since I like to do those things and it helps my non dominate hand. But, if you are an L person like me, be aware of walking, dancing, soccer and martial arts like Tai Chi. If I can not finish my work then I can go someplace quite like the library and the classrooms during lunch. If you are a L then you should go in these spot if you want a quite spot. That I should get a balance of art, music, movement and verbal skills. This would help me for making the best changes so I can have the best ways to learn.


I would like my teachers to know


That how much they have contribute for to strive further into learning the way that suits for me. When I am in stress I am helpless therfore I can not take charge of my dominate side of my senses which turns me off. My hearing turns off, it feels like that I have earplugs so what ever I hear does not go in and stores there. My reading button turns off. If I read for a big project I tend to read it fast and after a few hours I tend to forget what I read so I have to read all the part all over again.  I want them to know that if I get stressed (rarely) I shut down and they would be able to tell because of my attitude. Luckily, L when we are relaxed we can access to both sides of my brain the gestalt and the logic side of our brain.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the excellent post and how important it is for you to learn from logical consequences. What learning profile are you? With all of the right side highlighted, is that an "A" profile? Adding what profile you are near the introduction would be helpful, as I was confused by your description and not sure if matched what I know about an "L" profile, which it looks like in your picture.

    Such a reflective post should really help you advocate for how you learn best while learning your strengths and areas of challenge.

    ReplyDelete